Finding places to visit over the Spring and Summer is always a task, so I thought I’d round-up a few top free places in Hampshire to visit with your kids. All these places are suitable for most age groups really too.
Summer is approaching and that means one thing, the summer holidays. Six weeks of entertaining the littles can get expensive, so finding days out that are free is a god send to most parents. I find that these children hoard a ridiculous amount of energy and I cannot even cope with the amount my son has. He just doesn’t burn it off EVER. We can walk for hours and hours and he’ll just want food.
TOP TEN PLACES TO VISIT
- VICTORIA COUNTRY PARK – With the shore, a park, woodland walks, a cafe and train line (£1.25 child & £1.75 adult) You can have a really lovely day out. They were recently working on the old hospital and I’m not sure if the refurb work is completed on it yet but ‘Vicky park’ has so much to do. With a massive open space to run around and bring a football, have a picnic and there’s sometimes an ice cream van on site too.
- RIVERSIDE PARK/WOODMILL – A lovely stroll along the river to feed the ducks, walk a dog and with three different parks it’s a great place to play. There is even a bridge at the end of woodmill to play Pooh sticks! Bitterne triangle is near too and they have the BEST ice-cream shop called The Songbird.
- MANOR FARM COUNTRY PARK – A lovely little place to feed the ducks and go for a walk. There is a farm to visit for a small extra cost too. Manor farm has the loveliest wartime farm with bundles of history and my family even donated a gas-mask cot for a prop too.
- MOORS VALLEY – Moors valley is wonderful! A huge lake, gruffalo trail and woodland walks. You can do bike hire and a railway at an extra cost too. Theres so much to do and it’s guaranteed to wear the kids out.
- LEE-ON-SOLENT/HILL HEAD – A lovely walk down the shore! Ice cream and fish and chips on the beach. What is more perfect? Throw stones, have a paddle and let the sea air wear the kids out! Also look out for PIRATES!
- NEW FOREST – With so many lovely woodland walks and places to go, you can pack a picnic and go on bear hunts, explore, draw up a checklist and get them to find an object. A stone, a leaf, ect…
- TITCHFIELD HAVEN – A lovely long walk which I would NOT recommend for buggy users. It’s around one and a half hours walk and you can get from Titchfield to Hill head too.
- WINCHESTER GREAT HALL – Winchester in itself is beautiful but for those days it’s rainy or really miserable the great hall is… great. You can donate if you can too. We did a post on Winchester HERE! You can learn about King Arthur and his round table.
- ITCHEN VALLEY COUNTRY PARK – Itchen Valley country park has a few lovely walks, an activity trail! I love Itchen Valley and visiting there with the children.
- SOUTHAMPTON CITY ART GALLERY – Another rainy day trip. More for older children but to take them to a free gallery is educational and fun!
Thats my top ten free places to visit in Hampshire! Hope you’re all enjoying the sunshiney weather! I have been and been getting the camera out a lot! HAPPY SUNDAY!