This is such a simple but comforting recipe! I used my fresh veg from Sunnyfields farm in Totton. It can be enjoyed alongside main meals such as your roast dinner or even on its own as a vegetarian main or quick lunch!
– medium broccoli head
– medium cauliflower
– salt and pepper
– 150g butter
– 150g plain flour
– 350ml milk
-50g cheddar cheese
– approx. 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
– Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into medium florets, cut the stalks into 1cm chunks ( don’t waste the stalks as they are full of flavor and nutrients!)
– Put into a big pan and boil for around 10 mins, on until they are feeling soft
– Turn the oven on to around 200degrees
– While the veg is cooking, in another medium/large pan, melt the butter on a medium heat – once the butter has melted add the flour and bring together so it looks a bit like dough
– Then add a little milk at a time and stir in
– Start to use a whisk whilst gradually adding the milk
– The sauce will thicken and become creamy and smooth, make sure you stir continuously as it will stick to the bottom and go lumpy if not
– Once the sauce has thickened add the nutmeg and 30g of cheddar
– Stir in and remove from the heat
– Drain the cauliflower and broccoli and pour into an oven proof dish
– Pour over all the sauce and then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top!
– Cook in the oven for around 25 mins or until the top has browned and the sauce is oozy!
Recipe by @lauryns_kitchen